UT Health San Antonio
We serve patients in San Antonio and South Texas. Our health care professionals serve in more than 100 affiliated hospitals, clinics, and health care facilities across San Antonio, Laredo, and the Rio Grande Valley. More than 3,000 students, researchers, and post-doctoral students from around the world come to UT Health San Antonio to study, research, and discover new breakthroughs.
Under limited supervision, responsible for identifying, registering, and maintaining the Cancer Center Tumor Registry database.
- Reviews electronic medical records to identify and collect patient data for patients treated for cancer and other reportable diagnoses.
- Review case finding list for reportable cases corrects cases returned by the Texas Cancer Registry and updates existing cases in the registry.
- Abstracts patient information into the cancer management program in compliance with government regulations and provides information for physicians and research studies. Expected to abstract 4 – 5 cases per day at hire.
- Responsible for upholding legal and ethical aspects to include: release of cancer registry data, confidentiality, data transmission, and adherence to the NCRA Code of Ethics.
- Attends training and seminars as needed to maintain compliance with the State of Texas Department of Health reporting requirements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Four (4) years of registry/case abstracting experience is required.
Additional Licenses and Certifications:
Certified Tumor Registrar certification is required. Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) is preferred.
An associate’s degree in the health science field or post-high school coursework in nursing, health information management, or related field is required.
Benefits Summary – UT Health San Antonio:
UT Health San Antonio offers excellent benefits and retirement package for its employees. Find highlights of coverages available to benefits-eligible employees below.
Medical – UT SELECT Medical insurance is offered free for full-time employees and administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. (Part-time employees are eligible for benefits and pay 50% of the monthly premium.) Family members can be added to the plan through payroll deduction. Employees and their eligible dependents receive discounted copays and coinsurance when using UT Health Physicians, a network of 800 premier physicians including more than 100 specialists. Prescription drug benefits are also part of the UT SELECT Medical Plan and are administered by Express Scripts.
Dental – Three dental insurance plan options are available for employees and their families through Delta Dental, two PPOs, and one dental HMO plan. Both PPO plans allow employees to choose any licensed dentist and offer Orthodontic Benefits.
Vision – Fully insured vision care benefits are offered by Superior Vision Services. Two vision plan options offer either standard or enhanced vision benefits.
Life Insurance – Employees receive $40,000 of group term life insurance for free, with options to purchase additional employee and dependent coverage at group rates. A $40,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) policy is also provided at no cost to employees.
Retirement – Employees are eligible for either the Teacher Retirement System (TRS) or the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP). TRS is a defined benefit retirement plan in which UT Health matches employee contributions of 8%. The Optional Retirement Plan is for eligible staff employees and is matched by 7.5%.
Time-off – Full-time employees earn eight or more hours of paid vacation per month based on how long they have worked for the state. Employees also earn eight hours of sick leave per month and three floating holidays per year. In addition, employees receive 12 paid holidays per year approved annually by the University of Texas System.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
If you or someone you know is interested in this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.